Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Paris is Pretty....


What always strikes me about Paris is how utterly beautiful everything is..or rather, is made. In France, such care is taken over the things 'we' (ie, our society) has come to mostly ignore, skip over and mock. The care and attention that is afforded to food in France is just amazing....beautiful ingredients, beautifully and simply cooked...all in nice surroundings, for, and here is the thing (!), not much money at all..in fact, much cheaper than here! People still take the time at the weekends to slow things down..go visiting, buying cakes..and artisan chocolates..stunning flowers to take as gifts. This is the norm there, and it is so refreshing!! Instead of a starbucks on every corner, there is an individual patisserie, or a cafe with people sitting supping a drink watching the world go by...it is my impression (and delight!) that Paris embraces the unique and the expert at every given opportunity, not what is simply easy or fast (food)...It is like they have all the time in the world (perhaps because they make the time!). Quality not quantity seems to be the mantra they live by. So, so great....

The top photo was taken at Versailles (total eye candy for me, carving wise)....every detail is so pretty...it was really wonderful. I would like to go back in the winter when everything is frozen, glittering and frosty...the white light would look amazing on the marble!

So many flower stalls and shops....almost one on every street, so beautifully turned out, with the most gorgeous of blooms, like these peonies (only 9 euros!!!) with their buttercream insides, and pretty frothy pink petticoats on top...as I couldn't buy them, I had to snap them!! Peonies are my favourites...

The facade of the famous tearoom Laduree....where they sell their divine, and world famous Macaroons which are out of this world!!! My favourite flavour (if I had to pick) was the Salted Butter Caramel...Mmmm...I bought a little box of the miniature ones to savour at the hotel. Apparently the macaroons take 24 hours to make, and I am not surprised..you can taste every minute!

Tomorrow I will share some flea-market finds....1910 lithograph prints and 19th Century Silk bobbins! How will I ever contain myself!!!!! :)

Thank you so much for such a warm welcome back dear blog chums...so pleased to be back!
Xox


19 comments:

Anonymous said...

I missed your post yesterday! But welcome back and thank you for sharing a little scent of Paris! Looking forward to see more... =)

Anonymous said...

oh how i love paris! your photos really show its charm and beauty. i must get back there soon.

Anonymous said...

Couldn't agree with you more about how everything seems to have been done so much better in Paris, and local independent places survive.

Gorgeous peonies.

julie said...

Just found your blog.
Your photos are beautiful.

shari said...

what a fabulous post. you describe the sights and tastes so well. those peonies are pure beauty. i have never been to paris and know i would love it. shall we meet there for macaroons and tea?! xx, shari

Abigail A. Percy said...

Shari....YES, YES!!!! as I squeal with delight at the thought! XX

Anonymous said...

i wish we had the sort of refinement that seems to come with so much ease in some other countries too...

i remember coming back from my first trip to italy, and being utterly depressed when my dad picked me up from the airport on our road home...all i could see were the ugly billboards, the sloppy way everyone was dressed and what was for dinner...

its one of the reasons i adore taveling so much, to adopt all the things i love into my lifestyle...

thanks for the beauty!

Anonymous said...

You describe it very well. Everytime I am in France, I tell myself I should try to adopt this joie the vivre in my life more, but it always wears off so fast. But you have this lovely pics to remember! These peonies are so lovely x

Anonymous said...

How can one not love Paris ater reading your lovely description

Anonymous said...

O dear Abigail-
what beautiful photos and words. I completely agree; the French have a way of savouring the simple pleasures! My absolute favorite thing to do in France was to drink a diabolo a la menthe at an outdoor cafe and peoplewatch! I can't wait to see your flea market photos...oh good times!

Anonymous said...

Salted Butter Caramel Macaroons... cute images to denote dog lanes... you've painted a wonderful snapshot of Paris for me. I've yet to visit Paris and your post is making me want to go explore, to soak up some of the many delights.

Have you read Paris Out of Hand, A Wayward Guide
By Karen Elizabeth Gordon... it's full of wonderful, abstract quotes such as how to say "But the stranger in my bed is also broken hearted" and various Dada snipets.

Looking forward to more pics, more tales & more, more, more in general. Welcome back, take care, gracia

Lena said...

i looove carved marble- it's so beautiful and i could stare at it for hours. the other photos are gorgeous too!

Katie said...

Oh my! You are so right Abigail! I love the way that life is approached and appreciated in France. How they take time and pleasure to enjoy the small things, instead of being on the go go go go all the time!!! I'm going to have to try those macaroons when I go there next. They sound devine!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, everything looks so pretty! Those carvings are just gorgeous. Apparently there's now a Laduree in Harrods, I might go and have to have a peek although I'm sure it's not quite the same as being in France!

Anonymous said...

i love your appreciation for the details. it made me feel like i was right there in paris. i could even smell the macaroons! yum!

IMEDAGOZE said...

hey... you're back!! Paris does look lovely!
I can't wait to hear more stories and see more beautiful pictures from you.

welcome back, abigail!tm

Kerstin Svendsen said...

so true about paris. beautiful photos too as usual. welcome back!!

lisa solomon said...

ah welcome home... love your photos... can't wait for more!!
xo

Anonymous said...

three cheers for laduree!! it made me so happy to see that on your post- i definitely lived vicariously through that post. oh how i miss it! so glad you had a lovely time, and i'm relieved you found the macaroons marveilleux. megxx!