Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Autumn Inspiration - Maiko Dawson....



Oh how I love Maiko Dawson's shoes!!! - her wholly hand-made forms and subtle detailing really make the work quite sublime and unique.....these shoes are made for walking { I couldn't help myself ;)}.

I first saw Maiko's shoes two years ago at Chelsea Crafts Fair in London..and am delighted to see that she is showing again this year at the new craft fair Origin in October. Maiko came to London in 1994 to study footwear technology at the Cordwainers College after graduating in Home Economics from Japan's Womens University....

" My inspiration for design has always been the shapes, forms and colours found in nature"....and I "thought there was a lack in the market for quality shoes that were actually comfortable and good for your feet".

....do have a look at Maiko's wonderfully quirky, and beautiful shoes on her website where you will see a much larger selection of images of her designs. Many of my favourite items are there..but I was unable to download them - but seeing as how I love them all anyway - I probably would not have been able to choose if I tried!!Just how perfect is Maiko's colour pallette for the coming season??

..enjoy :)
xox

14 comments:

lisa solomon said...

wow. not sure if i could wear them - they are so beautiful i just want to stare at them endlessly....

cindy said...

hi abigail,
i hope you get some rest. oh those shoes, just gorgeous. i'm drooling all over the keyboard.
hugs.

Anonymous said...

Hi abigail, i laso had a link to her amazing shoes on my blog a couple of weeks ago! Wish i could buy just one tiny pair!!!!

Anonymous said...

They are so lovely that I've had to ask about prices. It's a slippery slope!

Marieke said...

Love the minnie slippers! x

Anonymous said...

these are great! i especially love the top pair. it's so funny, i now love the kind of shoes that made me cry when my mum made me wear them when i was a kid. not that i ever got to wear anything a beautiful as these!

will definitely be checking out her website. hope you're having a good week :)

Anonymous said...

Lovely shoes, no prices though...

shari said...

very cool shoes! you have the inspiration flowing this week. thanks for sharing! xox shari
ps: listening to david gray nonstop!

Abigail A. Percy said...

Hi everyone..so glad you are as excited about her work as I am :)

lisa...I know, they should be in a cabinet to be preserved for all eternity! ;)

cindy....thanks! xx

julie...great minds egh? her work is so cool!!

philippa....oh the danger ;) yes, slippery indeed! {but oh so fun!}

Marieke..me too, so cute!

Sharon..exactly! I feel the same way, I love that hand-made slightly childish look now that I hated as a kid and only wanted secret keeper shoes {or whatever they were called!?}...fickle, us??

Katherine...yes, I imagine as they are all bespoke the price will vary depeding on the leather, ot whether you will have special requirements, and need a last made of your foot etc. I think you have to email for prices...nice to know it is so individual though :)

shari..so pleased you like my dear! Yes, I can listen to him all the time without getting bored too....he has such ana amazing voice!! So pleased you <3 that one as much as I do :)!! xx

LittleDoodles said...

Oh I love them all! I'm a big fan of quirky shoes...I just came across some myself and posted about them on my blog. There must be some kind of wonderful shoe revolution going on!

Anonymous said...

i think they might be the most beautiful shoes i´ve ever seen. i am expecially taken by the god t-straps on her website. i think they would look perfect on my feet. hee hee. :)

charlotte said...

What a cool post! I'm in love with these shoes. Will try to see them at Origin next month.

Anonymous said...

ooooh thank you abigail for such a linky-lovely!!! my christmas wish list now consists of the mollv, momo & verte shoes...i can but dream :)

the origin craft fair looks like a must see...may take myself on a london day out? have you been before? x

Anonymous said...

They remind me of campers but somehow even more organic & fun.

Loving your site!