Friday, September 08, 2006

Inside the Cover {part two}...





Book number two is :: Josef Frank¦ Textile Design :: distributed by Svenskt Tenn.....and it is a delight as well!!
Every time I see a pattern design book which has images of the original wood blocks used to print the fabric, I am sold - there and then. I am really obsessed with wood blocks, and use them as inspiration for the construction of my pieces {thinking, if this was a pattern...each layer would add it's own motif to the print, creating the whole}....I often want to have a go at cutting my own blocks {I have the tools..I use them to carve the ivory, so it's kind of similar} too. The two pages in this book {middle images} that showed the blocks for Josef Franks' textiles just blew me away..hope you like them too.
------- {I included the pumpkin one as an ode to Autumn ;)!!}---------
As promised here and here you will find some snaps of some of the jewels I got at the show on Wednesday......much more still to source!
I am going to be working through the weekend again...getting work finished to go to Diana Porter {gallery} at the beginning of next week. Would you believe this is the first of my Christmas shows going out already...crazy right!? I am betting it's going to get crazier :)))) ---- I am trying to decide whether to get my own gold plating equiptment or not? I think I need to make things simpler and do it myself to avoid all the problems that occur with involving other people *sigh*
wishing you all a good and restful weekend.
hugs, xox

8 comments:

lisa solomon said...

oh that book!!! oh oh oh !

headed over to see your photos....

have a wonderful weekend! xo

Anonymous said...

That book is just so incredible...I am in love with wood blocks also. I am always trolling in flea markets hoping to find one. What I will actually do with them if I ever do find one, I am not sure...

Anonymous said...

Love the look of that book... and the one you selected seems a fitting and beautiful ode to Autumn.
Happy working!
cheers, gracia

Anonymous said...

hope you´re enjoying a productive weekend!!
that book looks amazing!! I do have a book on austrian textiles you might enjoy, maybe I could post some images next week :)

Anonymous said...

dear abigail...those blocks are amazing! thanks so for sharing with us. i'd love a skirt in that pumpkin print :) looking forward to donning the autumn wardrobe! your jewel delights from the show look beautiful...can't wait to see how you transform them. hope you had a productive w'end...here's to a good week ahead too! p.s. the problem avoiding tactic sounds the right way to go...when you have a crazy enough time to be dealing with, keeping problems at bay has to be better! x

Anonymous said...

fabulous book! woodblock prints are just so incredibly wonderful. i concur with the idea of doing as many of the parts of the work process as you can and avoiding other people's time constraints/mis-communications/mistakes/cost etc etc. sometimes when you're pushed for time though it's so nice to know that one part of the process is going to be taken care of. hmmmmm.

have a great week :)

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! That book is stunning! You always have the best finds!

xoash

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous book!! And those wood blocks are amazing - Love them!
Thanks for showing us!!!